March 27, 2015 • Vol. XXXVIII, No. 5
Wynter Radey-Morgan, Reba Radey and daughter Fable Wallace pose with leprechaun Crystal Lahrman before the start of the Leprechaun Loop on March 14. Spencer Morgan won the 5k with a time of 21:06 and Jake Sager won the kid’s 1k with a time of 4:26. Best costume was awarded to Wynter. Elise Giordano
Top Stories (not yet posted)
•Border to continue using winter hours
throughout summer; Stations will be closed for eight hours.
•Skagway Home Brew Fest canceled by ABC Board.
• King salmon release to stop in Pullen Creek; Program pulled by Fish & Game due to erratic broodstock and lack of funds.
• Original trapping ordinance not repealed.
• Proposed leash law a no go.
CROSS COUNTRY- Rosetta Pring skis with Ski Club instructor Leslie Martin, left, and mother Jeffrey Hitt, rear, on the Log Cabin Ski trails this winter. See Buckwheat Ski Classic preview on page 5. Jeff Brady
• BOROUGH DIGEST: Port Commission to seek TIGER grant for Gateway Project; Second reading of AIDEA lease pushed to June ; Planning and Zoning approves Public Safety Facility rezone request; Assembly approves Public Safety Facility proposal ; No tax for updated 911 system.
• ARTS BEAT: Upcoming Events for April; Applications now accepted for 2015 MFB Fund scholarships.
Next issue is April 10, 2015 (deadline: April 6).
• Skaguay Alaskan 2015 Visitor Guide advertising rates & info (pdf) Call 907-983-2354 or email us if you want an ad in the 2015 Alaskan. DEADLINE APRIL 10. Alaskans are distributed by our Newsies daily to the cruise ships and at locations all over Skagway and the region. You can link to the Alaskan's list of local attractions and more at the bottom of this page. Look for our new book of Alaskan historical features and photos, Skagway: City of the New Century.
Annual Subscriptions Outside Skagway and Dyea: $45 second class Alaska, Canada's Yukon, and Lower 48 (slowest method) - $55 first class anywhere in North America (fastest method) - $65 first class elsewhere worldwide. Local subscriptions (Skagway PO Boxes) are $30. To subscribe, call 907-983-2354 with your address and credit card information, or mail a check to The Skagway News, PO Box 498, Skagway, AK 99840.
Single copy price of The Skagway News is $1.50 retail. Add another $2 for postage if all you want is a single issue mailed to you.