April 24, 2015 • Vol. XXXVIII, No. 7
Delaney and McKenna Rau perform at the International Folk Festival at the Eagles Hall on April 17.Elise Giordano
Top Stories (now posted)
• New trapping ordinance passes 4-2; Ground traps prohibited within 1/8 mile of roads and established trails
•Skagway News sold to PR Services of Whitehorse; New ownership formed under Alaska Travel Publications LLP
• AIDEA, Mineral Services given notice of violation from state for drainage issues at ore terminal.
• Charges against Police Chief Leggett dropped.
• Buckwheat to retire after 16 years as tourism director.
AWOOOO - Buckwheat Donahue howls during the Buckwheat Ski Classic on March 28. Donahue is retiring from his job as tourism director on May 1. Photo by Andrew Cremata
• BOROUGH DIGEST: First reading of 2016 Municipal budget; Gateway to have mitigation plan in three weeks; Naming of Outdoor Arts Facility put on hold; Outdoor Arts Facility access questions; Hearing for General Obligations Bond.
• ARTS BEAT: Outdoor Arts Facility news & Events; Author Mary Roach coming to Skagway for North Words Writers Symposium.
• SCHOOL BOARD: - Approval of 2016 goals; Rosalie Westfall and Vivian Meyer win at AASG.
• FISH THIS!: - Bait & Tackle.
Next issue is May 15, 2015 (deadline: May 11).
• Skaguay Alaskan 2015 Visitor Guide advertising rates & info (pdf) Call 907-983-2354 or email us if you want an ad in the 2015 Alaskan. First edition now on streets. Second edition deadline is June 20. Alaskans are distributed by our Newsies daily to the cruise ships and at locations all over Skagway and the region. You can link to the Alaskan's list of local attractions and more at the bottom of this page. Look for our new book of Alaskan historical features and photos, Skagway: City of the New Century.
Annual Subscriptions Outside Skagway and Dyea: $45 second class Alaska, Canada's Yukon, and Lower 48 (slowest method) - $55 first class anywhere in North America (fastest method) - $65 first class elsewhere worldwide. Local subscriptions (Skagway PO Boxes) are $30. To subscribe, call 907-983-2354 with your address and credit card information, or mail a check to The Skagway News, PO Box 498, Skagway, AK 99840.
Single copy price of The Skagway News is $1.50 retail. Add another $2 for postage if all you want is a single issue mailed to you.