Live Theater in Skagway
Get ready for a fun evening with the Lynn Canal Community Players. The Haines group will ride a small boat on the high seas bringing "Dixie Swim Club" a play by Jones Hope Wooten, to the Eagles Hall on Saturday, January 26! This play directed by Tod Sebens, is an adult comedy suited for high schoolers on up. The show will be preceded by a potluck/meet and greet at 5p.m. Feel free to bring a dish to pass and hang out and dine with the group from Haines as well as Skagway friends! The show begins at 7pm. Heaters will be on but dress warm in case the hall is chilly. Tickets available at the door: $12 for adults, $7 for students ($2 discount for Skagway Arts Council Members).
5th Annual Winter Film Festival
Mark your calendar and consider buying your Valentine (or yourself) a pass to the 5th Annual Winter Weekend Film Festival! All films will be shown at the AB Hall over the weekend of February 15-17. Advance tickets will be available soon at Skaguay News Depot and You Say Tomato but will also be available at the door. Weekend passes for all films are $20. Individual film tickets are $5. A weekend pass also buys you a chance to sit in the V.I.P Recliner for the duration of a show! There will be four feature length films, and many shorts from Alaska film makers and beyond. Back for the second year will be the popular short films for kids matinee! Check the next edition for film info and times.
Arts Council Junket to Juneau
Did you know that the ukulele is making a huge comeback? Jake Shimabukuro, a ukulele virtuoso, has played a major role in that comeback with his amazing talent and ability to create unbelievable finger-picking music from this small instrument. Jake is an absolute inspiration, and Skagwegians have an opportunity to see him in concert in Juneau. The Arts Council is organizing a travel package that will allow you to travel to Juneau and attend the concert at an affordable price. How affordable will depend on the number of people who join the group, but group discounts are available. The concert is Monday, Feb. 11 at 7:30 pm at the Juneau Douglas High School Auditorium. Regular admission is $35/adults; $30/seniors; $20/students. If you're interested in participating in the Junket to Juneau or would like more info. contact Dottie at 983-2248.
Upcoming Art Classes
• Earring Creations with Kathy and Friends: January 27th, 10:30am-12:30pm at the Rec Center. $18 per pair ($15 for members).
• Painting and Drawing classes with Eve Griffin: Alternating Mondays through February, 6:30pm in the school science room. $7 ($5 for members).
• Glass Painting with Carol and Kathy: Date and time TBA, at the Rec Center. Bring your own glassware. $10 ($8 for members).
• Polymer clay beads with Tiffany Metz: February 24th, 11am-12:30pm at the Rec Center. $10 ($8 for members). For information on any of the art classes listed above, please call Kathy Wassman at 612-0664.
• A variety of Glass classes will be offered starting in February and March. Watch town bulletin boards for Fused Glass and Torch-worked Glass Bead Workshops, or call Donna Griffard at 983-3222 for more information. – SAC