August 29, 2014 • Vol. XXXVII, No. 15
Nightwatch on the Main Drag
The annual “Drag Show” at the Red Onion was simulcast on the wall of the historic saloon for an overflow crowd outside on the street last Saturday night. The season’s arts beat has been in full swing. See more arts photos and news on page 6 of our print edition.
Photo by Doug Olynyk
Top Stories (now posted)
• Five-star school rating for Skagway; Better attendance moves local district into top tier of Alaska schools.
• Compromise reached on herbicide limits.
• Races ahead for assembly, school board candidates.
Logan Ward swings from a pole while other kids run and play at the annual Welcome Back to School BBQ. See more photos from the start of the school year on the back page. - Katie Emmets
• BOROUGH DIGEST: Voters could see bonding prop. on October ballot; Rapuzzi Committee begins work; Tribal wildlife grant support.
• STATE ELECTION NEWS: Primary results from Skagway; Tom Williams challenges State Sen. Dennis Egan.
• SCHOOL REPORT: Sen. Murkowski to visit; Aide sought for pre-school; Coach hired, more needed.
• ARTS BEAT: African Children's Choir performs; SE State Fair winners; MFB fall grant period opens.
• SPORTS & REC.: Klondike Road Relay, SHS Cross Country previews.
• FISH THIS!: A gathering of friends who also fish.
• HEARD ON THE WIND: Many tour ramblings... Photo: Assembly gets iced for ALS.
Next issue is September 12, 2014 (deadline: Sept. 8).
• Skaguay Alaskan 2014 Visitor Guide advertising rates & info (pdf)Alaskans distributed by our Newsies daily to the cruise ships and at locations all over Skagway and the region. You can link to the Alaskan's list of local attractions and more at the bottom of this page. Look for our new book of Alaskan historical features and photos, Skagway: City of the New Century. Call 907-983-2354 or email us if you want an ad in the 2015 Alaskan.
Annual Subscriptions Outside Skagway and Dyea: $45 second class Alaska, Canada's Yukon, and Lower 48 (slowest method) - $55 first class anywhere in North America (fastest method) - $65 first class elsewhere worldwide. Local subscriptions (Skagway PO Boxes) are $30. To subscribe, call 907-983-2354 with your address and credit card information, or mail a check to The Skagway News, PO Box 498, Skagway, AK 99840.
Single copy price of The Skagway News is now $1.50 retail. Add another $2 for postage if all you want is a single issue mailed to you.