June 14, 2013 • Vol. XXXVI, No. 10
Live at the Library
Children watch Steven’s Puppets prepare for Rumpelstiltskin during the Skagway Public Library’s reopening on June 3. Children were invited to examine the wooden marionettes after the show and were all smiles. For more photos from the library’s opening, see page 4 of our print edition.
Photo by Elise Giordano
Top Stories (coming later this week)
• Police investigating arson in Fish Co. fire
• Rubber tire mulch will not be used on school playground; Mollie Walsh surface to remain, for now
• Finlayson hears assembly concerns to move forward on Gateway Project; WP still wants lease extensions for cruise dock use
• Problems persist at Skagway Post Office
• Chilkoot Trail still on alert
CHUGGING ALONG – Skagway railroad conductor Pete Griffard smiles through the cramps as he crosses the Taiya River bridge in Dyea on the second half of the Skagway Marathon. Griffard accomplished his goal – to finish – along with about 50 other runners/walkers. See coverage in Sports and Rec. Jeff Brady
• BOROUGH DIGEST: Garden City RV park property purchase moves forward; Second reading of FY14 budget passes, assembly votes for sales tax transfer; Healy hired to help with plant payment plan strategy.
• SCHOOL REPORT: Transfer students allowed to bring in weighted grades.
• NORTH WORDS FEATURE: Symposium takes turn with controversial subjects.
• PHOTO FEATURE: Cancer Awareness Walk-A-Thon raises big bucks.
•ARTSBEAT-MUSIC SCENE: Lucas and Juan; Juan and Lucas
• SPORTS & REC: Rookie takes lead, wins Skagway Marathon.
• HEARD ON THE WIND - Penguins in Alaska!
• OBITUARY - Ada Mary Haskin.
Next issue is June 28, 2013 (deadline June 24)
• Skaguay Alaskan 2013 Visitor Guide advertising rates & info (pdf)Deadline for 1st edition was April 10; paper appeared May 2 on streets of Skagway and will be inserted in May 10 News. Call 907-983-2354 or email us if you have a new business and want an ad in the second edition (deadline June 24).
You can link to the 2013 Alaskan's list of local attractions and more at the bottom of this page. Look for our new book of Alaskan historical features and photos, Skagway: City of the New Century, now available from Lynn Canal Publishing!
Annual Subscriptions Outside Skagway and Dyea: $35 second class Alaska, Canada's Yukon, and Lower 48 (slowest method) - $45 first class anywhere in North America (fastest method) - $65 first class elsewhere worldwide. To subscribe, call 907-983-2354 with your address and credit card information, or mail a check to The Skagway News, PO Box 498, Skagway, AK 99840.