October 10, 2014 • Vol. XXXVII, No. 18
Music of the Night
The Hot Toddies perform at The Pizza Station’s end-of-the-year party on Thursday, Sept. 25. Although a ship was rescheduled to Friday, people still came out to celebrate the end of the season.
Photo by Elise Giordano
Top Stories (now posted)
•Split vote on how to pay for Public Safety Facility, election results too close to call wit absentee ballots still being counted; Henry, Grieser lead assembly.
• Local businesses discuss needs for Gateway Project.
• The road to Juneau and what it could mean for Skagway and SE Alaska.
• Representative Sam Kito visits Skagway, talks with citizens about concerns and issues, with entertainment from Skin and Bones and Fogatron.
MAKING WAVES- A brown bear wades through the Taiya River toward the Dyea Road on Sept. 28. Elise Giordano
• BOROUGH DIGEST: Carson Dorn awarded Water Well #4; Sod laying party for Outdoor Arts Facility; Consideration to rezone along the Dyea Road.
• ARTS BEAT: Sod Party Saturday; Fall fest concert, workshops; Zombie Walk coming soon.
• SPORTS & REC.: Foote takes third at regionals, girls run twice to avoid bear; Panthers prepare to face Haines in scrimmage; Wrestling team loses state qualifier, still up for challenge.
Next issue is October 24, 2014 (deadline: Oct. 20).
• Skaguay Alaskan 2014 Visitor Guide advertising rates & info (pdf)Alaskans distributed by our Newsies daily to the cruise ships and at locations all over Skagway and the region. You can link to the Alaskan's list of local attractions and more at the bottom of this page. Look for our new book of Alaskan historical features and photos, Skagway: City of the New Century. Call 907-983-2354 or email us if you want an ad in the 2015 Alaskan. Rates will be posted in January 2015.
Annual Subscriptions Outside Skagway and Dyea: $45 second class Alaska, Canada's Yukon, and Lower 48 (slowest method) - $55 first class anywhere in North America (fastest method) - $65 first class elsewhere worldwide. Local subscriptions (Skagway PO Boxes) are $30. To subscribe, call 907-983-2354 with your address and credit card information, or mail a check to The Skagway News, PO Box 498, Skagway, AK 99840.
Single copy price of The Skagway News is now $1.50 retail. Add another $2 for postage if all you want is a single issue mailed to you.