January 23, 2015 • Vol. XXXVIII, No. 1
January Drink from the Taiya
A local dog drinks from the Taiya River in Dyea last weekend. Area rivers have been mostly free-flowing so far this winter, and there’s not much snow on the hillsides and very little down in the valleys.
Photo by Jeff Brady
Top Stories (now posted)
• Juneau road project halted by Gov. Walker; DOT&PF commissioner fired after questioning decision
•AIDEA lease beyond 2023 gets first nod from Assembly
• Skagway robotics team snags second at state tournament
THOUGHT BOTS CELEBRATE - Skagway’s FLL Robotics team celebrates with its second place trophy in Anchorage. Bottom row, from left: Dawson Clem, Harrison Zalit, Jessica Whitehead, Issac Zalit, Tatum Sager, and Lily Zalit. Top row: assistant coach Greg Clem, Silas Myers, Peyton Rodig, Iraida Hisman, Zoe Whitehead, and coach Heather Rodig.
Photo courtesy of Abby Myers
• BOROUGH DIGEST: Municipality denied zoning request; SRC looking at separate building for pool; Garden tour with pot sampling approved.
• SPORTS & REC.: SHS girls open with thin ranks in Hather tourney; Ellis having great senior season in Missouri.
• OBITUARIES: Bud Matthews, Dr. Michael Dickens.
Next issue is February 13, 2015 (deadline: Feb. 9).
• Skaguay Alaskan 2015 Visitor Guide advertising rates & info (pdf) Call 907-983-2354 or email us if you want an ad in the 2015 Alaskan. Alaskans are distributed by our Newsies daily to the cruise ships and at locations all over Skagway and the region. You can link to the Alaskan's list of local attractions and more at the bottom of this page. Look for our new book of Alaskan historical features and photos, Skagway: City of the New Century.
Annual Subscriptions Outside Skagway and Dyea: $45 second class Alaska, Canada's Yukon, and Lower 48 (slowest method) - $55 first class anywhere in North America (fastest method) - $65 first class elsewhere worldwide. Local subscriptions (Skagway PO Boxes) are $30. To subscribe, call 907-983-2354 with your address and credit card information, or mail a check to The Skagway News, PO Box 498, Skagway, AK 99840.
Single copy price of The Skagway News is $1.50 retail. Add another $2 for postage if all you want is a single issue mailed to you.